I don’t watch TV very much, but once in a while a show will come along that just grabs me. I stay up late to find out what happens next and buy the whole season so I can watch it over and over. Downton Abbey is my new favorite show and here are some reasons why:
- Culture: I love how from the first episode you get to learn what it was like to live in the early 1900s. It’s a time period I didn’t know much about. There are servants and telephones and cars and fancy dinners. It’s chock full of wonderful details.
- Matthew Crawley: My, my, romantic lead, you are dashing.
- Drama: There is drama and scandal in every episode. What fun!
- Maggie Smith: I love her character, the Dowager Countess. The honest and passive-aggressive things she says are so hilarious!
- Charm: They all have British accents. How can you not love that?!
- Characters: All of the characters have so much depth to them. You get to know a lot of them in detail from the servants, the maids, the butler, to the Lords, Dukes and Countesses. The characters are so well rounded, flawed and interesting that it feels like they are real people that you know.
- Writing: The wit and sarcasm in one episode alone is quite shocking.
- High-quality: The actors are so amazing and talented. The costumes are beautiful and historically accurate. Its filmed at a real location – Highclear Castle. And since it’s public television, they sold season 2 on Blu-ray before the season finale had even aired. How awesome is that!!!
If you want an entertaining show that takes you on an emotional ride, you have to watch this show!
Have you seen it yet? What do you love about Downton Abbey?